Monday, January 12, 2009

comfort food in a crust

[2:59 pm -- text from highschooler]

*im hungry i need quiche

[3:01 pm -- text response by me]

*quiche?! why?

[3:04 pm -- text response by highschooler]

*i need protein

[*sigh*]

And five hours later ... with much fiddling with the oven temperature ... I managed to make my daughter happy with this --Spicy Sausage Quiche
(poured into 2 unbaked pie crusts; a gluten-free one for the high maintenance highschooler):
  • 1 pound bulk pork sausage
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 14 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain and crumble. Spread into bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, onion, chile peppers, and jalapeno pepper. In a medium bowl, mix eggs with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour over contents of baking dish.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then cut into squares.
I hope you all had yummy dinners as well (and hopefully you all ate before 8 pm ... unlike us!)

2 comments:

Dave said...

I was still cooking when you left a comment at my place, an on sale steak that I'd forgotten I'd bought and not frozen, with egg noodles mixed with butter, dill weed, marjoram, basil, salt and pepper.

Not bad, but I broiled the steak a minute or so too long.

molly gras said...

Oohhh, steak ... yum! Way to inspire my next dinner option!

{BTW - quiche leftovers; to die for! So glad I listened to the desperate teenager)